LORT Anti-Racism Statement and Solidarity
We, the representative body of managers for our 79 member theatres, acknowledge the regional theatre industry’s long history and present reality of racism. We are committed to leveraging our collective power to advance the essential work of dismantling the white supremacist cultures that pervade our theatres at every level. We encourage and support every LORT Theatre to actively work towards being a consistently anti-racist organization. Our collective efforts to embrace anti-racism in our association culture and individual theatres must go beyond this specific moment in time or a few public statements.
We encourage every theatre to use the below qualifications as a starting place for anti-racist evaluation AND to commit to end racial inequities within your theatre.
Basic qualifications of moving towards being an anti-racist theatre:
- Define anti-racism and your organizational and individual anti-racist ethos
- Provide and pay for anti-racism education for your staff/board/artists
- Read the We See You White American Theatre list of demands with staff/board/artists and commit to meeting as many demands as possible for your organization
- Create an authentic anti-racism statement or series of commitments that lives on your website
- Commit to reading, referring to, and using the resources provided by LORT